What is Self Leadership Coaching and Why Would I want to Be Coached Anyway?
The International Coaching Federation defines Coaching as “Partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.”
In some of its early use, the word coach described a horse-drawn vehicle – a stagecoach that would get people from where they were to where they wanted to be. A modern day bus does the same thing and often these vehicles are called coaches as well. When I Coach individual leaders and leadership teams, a similar result is anticipated – to move them from where they are now to a new and purposeful destination in the future.
A widely held misconception today is that Coaches are people who only help athletes and teams move from one place to another and help them get better and more effective at winning. Coaches don’t just help athletes, they help everyday people as well.
It is very true. In the world of professional sports where athletes are at the pinnacle of their performance, the top of their game, the best in their league, individual superstars – even for them, we know we won’t find a single one without a Coach. In fact, often times the higher their superstar status, the more individual Coaches and support staff will engage and support them. The thinking is, “As incredible as you already have become with the talents you have, how much more awesome can you be with a little intentional guidance, support and accountability provided by a Coach?” That statement can just as easily apply to you in your context.
Just try it with your name filled in the blank.
“As incredible as you already have become with the talents you have _______, how much more awesome can you be with a little intentional guidance, support and accountability provided by a Coach?”
Why Coach around Self Leadership?
It is pretty simple really. If you don’t lead yourself well, then where will you end up? If you are not proactive about where you want to be, then you will be reactive to what comes at you. Without excellent self leadership you will often be asking yourself “how did I get here?” With excellent self leadership you will be able to choose a destination and a preferred course to arrive at a desired outcome. You are trying to win your own game. The game called life. Self Leadership development focuses on the skills, motivators and priorities that will help you win.
That is what Self Leadership Coaching does for you and your ability to live your life on purpose, with a purpose. It simply offers strategic and intentional guidance towards establishing and achieving your goals. A focused tweaking, taking into consideration the abilities and talents already found within you and your supporting circumstances. That is what makes it so special. The Self Leadership Coaching experience is designed specifically around you, your goals, your life dynamic and your untapped and unexplored potential. It is totally unique to you.
Ok, Shoot it to Me Straight – How Could Self Leadership Coaching Really Help Me?
Here is just a sample of what my clients have experienced with Coaching:
- Coaching stimulates better skills. Coaching helps people anticipate what they could become, overcome self-defeating habits or insecurities, manage relationships, develop new competencies and build effective ways to keep improving.
- Coaching stimulates vision. Many individuals and Organizations have no clear vision or a fuzzy vision at best? They keep doing what they have done for years, without much change and with little expectation that things will ever be different. I work with individuals and organizations as they think beyond the present, more clearly envision the future and plan how to get there.
- Coaching helps people grow through life transitions. Whenever we encounter major changes in our lives–like a new job, promotion, a move, the death of a loved one, the launch of a new career, or retirement–we face uncertainty and the need to readjust. I help to better enable people to reassess their life goals, find new career options, change lifestyles, get training, re-evaluate their finances, or find information so they can make wise decisions.
- Coaching supports Christians in their spiritual journeys. Many believers understand the theological basics of their faith and aren’t necessarily looking to be intellectually trained outside of their Church context. But they do need focused time with somebody who has been on the spiritual road in different ways than themselves, who models Christlikeness and can help them identify and point out the personal barriers to their own growth and can help them guide the journey.
- Coaching brings honest observation. As a Coach I speak the truth in love. As a Coach I know that sometimes the best way to help is by refusing to ignore harmful behavior patterns. Instead, I nudge and provoke people to deal with attitudes and behaviors that should be faced and changed. They usually know it, they are just stuck there.
Don’t believe only my word on how effective Coaching truly is, take a second and read through some of the testimonials written by others about their experience. Ultimately understanding Coaching is much more about experiencing it than grasping the philosophy behind it. Like most things in life you don’t realize the value until you experience it. If you never had a pair of shoes, you could make it through life, but after someone hands you a pair of shoes and you put them on, there is an obvious realization that things could have been better all along, and there is no need to struggle going forward as you had in the past.
I would love to partner with you and talk further about the possibilities for your journey. If you are at all intrigued, just shoot me your name and email in the form below and I will contact you shortly to set up a no cost, no obligation conversation to answer any questions you may have.
Let’s Connect !