A Reminder to Remember Our Spiritual Heroes
As each of us matures in the faith we have the privilege of not only leading others, but having been led by many others along the way as well. Every believer has been discipled, mentored, coached our counselled by someone, or many, along their journey that has made a great impact on their faith and ministry. Remembering, reflecting on, and repeating their impact is a great way for us to grow as leaders and invest in others.
As a leader, during your next team meeting, take a few minutes to honor and remember those who have been good and faithful servants before us.
- As a team, go around the room to each individual and ask for the following:
- Identify a person who had a positive influence on you as a leader that is not in this room, and tell us why their leadership impact was so positive for you.
- Which qualities that you admired in their leadership style, do you see in yourself?
- Which qualities that you admired in them do you wish that you could see more of in yourself?
- Next ask the following:
- What would it take for you to move yourself closer towards those qualities that you admire?
- What will you do today to move closer to living out that quality in your own life and leadership?
- Lastly, discuss as a team if there may be an opportunity to encourage and edify those leaders that were identified in a positive light and had great leadership impact amongst the team.
- Would it be possible to contact them with a word of encouragement via email, phone call, etc.
- Is there any way that you could honor them and be a blessing to them by letting them know (or a remaining family member, if they have passed on) what a positive influence they had on your life?
- What creative ways can you come up with to help their positive legacy live on through you?
Modelling this type of appreciation for leadership can establish a firm foundation in the minds of today’s leaders of the value of those who have lead them well in the past, and an additional value of the impact that leading others well will have long into the future.
Who can you remember and honor today that made a possitive impact on your spiritual journey? What will you do to pay homage to them?