How to Identify and Take Advantage of Leadership Momentum
No matter where you are on the timeline or season of your ministry, you are subject to leadership momentum. Measuring momentum is just a method of tracking movement. Hopefully you are experiencing a lot of forward, easily recognized momentum. You may be experiencing backwards momentum that is pushing against your best efforts. But you are definitely experiencing momentum in one of those two directions. No organization is simply standing still.
The first step is to identify “the momentum wave” and the direction it is travelling.
Take a few minutes with your team and talk about the current leadership momentum in the ministry. The general sense of direction as determined by the leadership team and those that the ministry serves.
- In what ways is our momentum moving us forward to where we want to be?
- In what ways is negative momentum pushing us away from where we want to be?
- What dynamics are currently in place that are affecting our momentum?
- What are the major forces causing positive and negative momentum in our ministry?
- In what ways do we generate the most positive momentum as indicated by results?
- Where will the momentum that we have today take us if left alone?
After taking the team through this exercise globally, try looking at each ministry area individually and processing the information again.
Momentum can be subtle and hard to identify – how have you been able to effectively identify and control momentum in the past?